Friday, May 09, 2008

Here's a question.

If I wanted to study art, I'd want to study art like "the old masters," (i.e., none of this modern art jazz for me.) Central to the study of art is the human figure and anatomy and all that fun stuff.

My initial reaction to having to draw nude people is "Gross. No way." But the thing is that having a basic understanding of the human figure is pretty much essential. Seriously.

So my question is, is drawing/studying the human nude morally wrong?

I understand that Doctors must study things like that because they actually need that knowledge to help people. But artists... is it anything more than entertainment? Of course it all deals with the heart motivation - an artist can glorify God. He has given us the power to be creative, and one way we praise Him is by using our creativity for good.

Take Michaelangelo's David. Does it glorify God? I'd say yes. It exalts and glories in the beauty and majesty of God's creation. But I always turn the page quickly when I see David, or other nude works of art. I've always felt it wrong to stare at nudes the way I examine other beautiful works of art. But is it?

Some people can use works of art for their own sensual lusts. But, does that make the work of art wrong? Or is it that people just have a tendency to mess up anything that is good? Is the painter wrong for painting the nude, which might cause the viewer to stumble? Or is only the viewer at fault? Or both?

Now, I have no desire to paint nude people. But I kind of have a desire to study anatomy and the human form. Is that wrong? Would that be wrong?

And, then, you know how when you learn something, you never look at that thing the same way again? (Like Hayley and Rowena can never look at a house in the same way without thinking about the architectural style and period.) I'd be afraid that once I'd studied all sorts of bone and muscle formations and shapes and forms of people, I could never look at anyone the same way again. I might start undressing them in my head - not in a sensual or lustful way - but just because I'd been studying the human shape. It might just be that I'd be talking to people and instead of focusing on their eyes, I might be thinking about the shape of their skull.

Is there a way to learn about the human form without dealing with these issues? I'd like to improve my skills as an artist, but not at the expense of my morals. I just don't know how I feel about this issue.

What do you think?

9 Comments:

At May 09, 2008 7:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Reaction:
I think of my husband's De Clemente's Anatomy Atlas book that was REQUIRED for further knowledge of his medical studies-done by...ARTISTS(not by a medical student:-)

I KNOW what you are saying and know your dilemma.

 
At May 09, 2008 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second Reaction:
The lady my Dad had regularly for his
drawing class of the Human Form was a frumpy, 40-ish, round sort of lady. I really often wondered what HER motivation was for shedding her clothes in Buffalo winters in a drafty room in front of 20-somethings.

 
At May 10, 2008 7:36 AM , Blogger faith said...

I like engineering. There is nothing wrong with taking machines apart in your head. heh. I don't know how to answer you question. But I love you. :D

 
At May 11, 2008 1:05 PM , Blogger annie said...

that one sentence you wrote reminds me exactly of this, a sketch by laura park.

 
At May 11, 2008 6:30 PM , Blogger linnea said...

My opinion is GO FOR IT! don't worry about moral issues if you really aren't feeling convicted about it. Also, about worrying about who's fault it is if someone stumbles.. . well just think of it from the point of view that everything in this world is tainted with sin. So no matter if you're drawing grass with a colored pencil or painting a nude person.

If you ever feel uncomfortable in a situation you can always just get up and leave, or just STOP. because it's a free country! so that's a consolation.

I think you are a seriously talented artist who could greatly benefit from the study of the human form. So...go for it!!

:-D

 
At May 12, 2008 8:02 AM , Blogger Sue said...

wow, Sarah! what a beautiful, thought-provoking post! what a beautiful thing that you are wrestling with this; others wouldn't. God will honor your honest search for His answer; may He do it soon! but His timing is often not ours. my He give you His wisdom, which He promises, and His direction and courage and peace; like Linnea said, nothing is untainted here, unfortunately, but there is still much beauty and good and joy...praying for you! God is faithful and He will bring it to pass.

 
At May 12, 2008 1:24 PM , Blogger cew said...

well after reading the post and having mere minutes to read and formulate a reply before i return to this final paper may i add my two cents...

wor-wic has Anatomy and Physiology I & II and besides the skeleton in the classroom the dissections were all cats and cow hearts. you do look beneath the person a bit (in part a wonder that we humans can function at all, so many little things must work 100% all the time) speaks of a creator.

i had a discussion on this same topic with my ex about our positions in posing for these classes as broke college students (and the sperm donations guys can be a part of).

so i would say you are asking some healthy questions without easy answers.

 
At May 12, 2008 2:36 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Annie,

Ha ha, actually I was thinking of that comic when I wrote the line. I saw that comic by Laura Park the other day after I read your blog about AKR. I visited the site and I totally sympathized with her because I have actually done that before.

:)

 
At May 14, 2008 10:18 PM , Blogger annie said...

oh! that's funny! heh heh. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home