"At sixes and sevens" is an English phrase, common in the UK. It is used to describe a state of confusion or disarray. The similar phrase "to set the world at six and seven", used by Geoffrey Chaucer, seems to have the meaning, from its context, ("Troilus & Criseyde", Book 4, Lines 621-623 [1]) "to hazard the world" or "to risk one's life".
There are several other possible explanations, including one mention of a similar phrase with a different meaning in the Bible (Job 5:19). However, one of the more interesting possibilities is that it may have come from a dispute between the Merchant Taylors' and Skinners' Livery Companies. The two, which were founded in the same year, argued over sixth place in the order of precedence. After more than a century, it was decided that at Easter, the companies would swap between sixth and seventh and feast in each others' halls.
I have a new email address. :) Now I have four. When I get to UMD I will only have two. Oh how nice that will be. But now I have two at SU, my main email addy, and my umd email account. Craziness.
4 Comments:
"At sixes and sevens" is an English phrase, common in the UK. It is used to describe a state of confusion or disarray. The similar phrase "to set the world at six and seven", used by Geoffrey Chaucer, seems to have the meaning, from its context, ("Troilus & Criseyde", Book 4, Lines 621-623 [1]) "to hazard the world" or "to risk one's life".
There are several other possible explanations, including one mention of a similar phrase with a different meaning in the Bible (Job 5:19). However, one of the more interesting possibilities is that it may have come from a dispute between the Merchant Taylors' and Skinners' Livery Companies. The two, which were founded in the same year, argued over sixth place in the order of precedence. After more than a century, it was decided that at Easter, the companies would swap between sixth and seventh and feast in each others' halls.
neat. Thanks.
(don't cry for me)
yep, you can say it now
I have a new email address. :) Now I have four. When I get to UMD I will only have two. Oh how nice that will be. But now I have two at SU, my main email addy, and my umd email account. Craziness.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home