Wednesday, March 07, 2007



Release Barrabas

11 Comments:

At March 08, 2007 2:20 AM , Blogger myroaring20s said...

And this is more exciting than Bob the bilingual fish???

 
At March 08, 2007 5:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting pick.

 
At March 08, 2007 4:29 PM , Blogger faith said...

I liked bob the billingual fish

 
At March 09, 2007 9:22 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Um... yes.

Fire = exciting. Violent convicts fighting over a spiked Jungle Jam pole = exciting.

And besides, I'm not in France. I'm in Delaware.

 
At March 09, 2007 9:25 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

So, Chris, since you're still here and you like Charles Dickens, what books have you read by Mr. Dickens?

I'll just take a wild guess. Since I know you haven't read "A Tale of Two Cities," I'm going to guess that you've read either "Oliver Twist" or "Great Expectations" or both. I'm also willing to bet that you haven't read "Our Mutual Friend."

 
At March 09, 2007 8:35 PM , Blogger faith said...

Very few people have read that. Even if I meet someone who says they like Charles Dickens, they rarely have read that one. I wonder why?

 
At March 11, 2007 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off hand I can't think of anything I've read by him. but my bro read Bleak House, and a Tale of Two Cities. :P

 
At March 11, 2007 12:58 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I haven't read Bleak House yet. But I'll get around to it some day. I'm going to read all of Charles Dicken's books.

 
At March 12, 2007 6:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a cool goal. How many do you have to read?

 
At March 12, 2007 6:57 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby, Our Mutual Friend, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Oliver Twist... at least six.

I read "A Tale of Two Cities" twice. And parts of the others many times. And some of "A Christmas Carol," and I started "Martin Chuzzlewit," but just barely. And I don't know if I've forgotten any.

 
At March 12, 2007 7:07 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, I just reread your question. Those are the books I have read. Off the top of my head I don't know how many books Charles Dickens wrote. There are quite a few. I don't know. Great. Now I'll have to go look it up.

From Wikipedia, then:

1. The Pickwick Papers (1836–1837)
2. Oliver Twist (1837–1839)
3. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (1838–1839)
4. The Old Curiosity Shop (1840–1841)
5. Barnaby Rudge (1841)

The Christmas books:
6. A Christmas Carol (1843)
7. The Chimes (1844)
8. The Cricket on the Hearth (1845)
9. The Battle of Life (1846)
10. The Haunted Man (1848)

11. Martin Chuzzlewit (1843–1844)
12. Dombey and Son (1846–1848)
13. David Copperfield (1849–1850)
14. Bleak House (1852–1853)
15. Hard Times (1854)
16. Little Dorrit (1855–1857)
17. A Tale of Two Cities (1859)
18. Great Expectations (1860–1861)
19. Our Mutual Friend (1864–1865)
20. The Mystery of Edwin Drood (unfinished) (1870)

So in answer, Chris, there are 20 works in total, if you count all those Christmas books. I think they are pretty short. Not all of his books are David Copperfield length. I therefore have to read about 14 more.

So if I read one a day, I would be finished in two weeks.

After that, I can read his
Selected other books:
Sketches by Boz (1836)
Master Humphrey's Clock (1840–1841)
American Notes (1842)
Pictures from Italy (1844–1845)
The Life of Our Lord (1846, published in 1934)
A Child's History of England (1851–1853)
The Uncommercial Traveller (1860–1869)

And when I am finished those, his short stories:

A Child's Dream of a Star (1850)
Captain Murderer
The Christmas stories:
A Christmas Tree (1850)
What Christmas is, as We Grow Older (1851)
The Poor Relation's Story (1852)
The Child's Story (1852)
The Schoolboy's Story (1853)
Nobody's Story (1853)
The Seven Poor Travellers (1854)
The Holly-tree Inn (1855)
The Wreck of the Golden Mary (1856)
The Perils of Certain English Prisoners (1857)
Going into Society (1858)
The Haunted House (1859)
A Message from the Sea (1860)
Tom Tiddler's Ground (1861)
Somebody's Luggage (1862)
Mrs Lirriper's Lodgings (1863)
Mrs Lirriper's Legacy (1864)
Doctor Marigold's Prescriptions (1865)
Mugby Junction (1866)
No Thoroughfare (1867)
George Silverman's Explanation
Holiday Romance
Hunted Down
The Lamplighter
The Signal-Man (1866)
Sunday Under Three Heads
The Trial for Murder
A House to Let (1858)
The Long Voyage (1853)

WOOHOO!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home