Friday, March 27, 2009

Several Observations from my Flight Home

Recently I flew from London to Washington, a seven hour flight. Each seat has its own television screen, but my screen was broken. Faith traded seats with me for two hours of the flight so I could watch "Slumdog Millionaire," but the rest of the time I had to amuse myself without television.

Fortunantly, this is not too hard for me. I hardly ever watch television as it is, so I did not feel too bad about the loss. I listened to some music, closed my eyes for a while, looked at some magazines, ate some food, and watched people. I find people intensely fascinating.

During the latter part of the trip, I pulled out some paper and I drew a picture of a girl from one of advertisements on the on-flight magazines. (It was rather dark on the plane, but later I found that my picture looked infinitely better in the dark, so it was all good.)

Observation 1: There would be more artists and inventors if children did not watch so much television. When you're forced to amuse yourself, you must use your imagination and you have a chance to be creative. You make up stories or invent games. It builds character.

Observation 2: Drawing a picture invites conversation and comment. (That was not my objective in drawing, nor was it a consequence that had crossed my mind.) However, I have found that if you are drawing a picture, people think it is an invitation to chat. I suppose that it gives a stranger something that they can relate to, to talk to you about, to ask you about. It invites questions and comments, or stories about their daughter's art school. It's like letting them in on a secret.

Reading a book says: I'm occupied with my story. If I want to have a conversation with you, I'll let you know. Don't bother me.
Listening to your ipod says: I don't care what you do; I can drown you out. As far as I'm concerned, you don't exist. I'm the only one on the plane. And this is my armrest.
Watching a movie says: Talk to me when the movie is over. Unless I'm watching another. Later, okay?
Sleeping says: I am tired and haven't any time. Please be quiet and don't disturb me.
Drawing a picture says: I have nothing to hide. I've told you something about myself. Would you like to talk?

4 Comments:

At March 27, 2009 11:17 AM , Blogger Sue said...

Wow! You are even artistic in your writing. I love this.

 
At March 28, 2009 4:48 PM , Blogger annie said...

i like your observations, sarah.

 
At March 28, 2009 9:28 PM , Blogger anna grace said...

My word verification is: artsilly.

So I take it as meaning, "art is the way to go, silly." So, the word verification is agreeing with your post and so am I.

I like the way you write.

 
At March 29, 2009 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun observations! It's amazing how we'll carve out our "personal space" even when crammed in a plane like sardines.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home