Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I have seen some poor adaptations of Pride & Prejudice in my time, and when I heard that they were going to make yet another version of Pride & Prejudice, I fully expected that it was going to be horrible. The fact that it was going to be only two hours long, and that Keira Knightly was going to star as Elizabeth only confirmed my feelings. I was determined not to see it. I saw the trailer and said, "I'm not going to see that." It was in theatres and I said, "I won't be caught dead seeing that." Then, some of my most trusted friends tell me that it is wonderful, and that I simply must see it. I'm like, "That's nice," but I didn't plan on seeing it.

Finally, last night, against my better judgment, against my very nature, I went to see Pride and Prejudice. I was highly encouraged by two friends who had just seen it, and were glowing and raving about how wonderful it was. "You won't be disapointed," they said. I thought, "I've been wrong before, perhaps I misjudged the movie." So I went in with high expectations. I began to have doubts when, in the first scene, we see Mrs. and Mr. Bennett. It only got worse, really. I'm sorry; I am trying really hard to respect other people's opinions who really liked it, but I'm having a very hard time finding anything at all good about that movie. True, the scenery and the music was beautiful. I don't even know where to begin. It was just too awful. It was one of those movies you feel embarresses to be watching. I thought the ending was the perfect ending for that movie. Imagine the worst ending possible, and then imagine something ten times worse. It was even worse then that. *Mrs. Darcy* *Mrs. Darcy* Put your stockings back on, Darcy. Okay, I'm being really hard on it, but I think it is deserved. Put your own opinion forward in the comments.

As Hayley said, "If I had gone in that movie with the lowest expectations, I still would have been dissapointed."

However, I do not regret seeing it. I like to see a bad movie every now and then, just so that I appreciate great movies that much more.

8 Comments:

At December 14, 2005 1:40 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Agreed. When do we start?

 
At December 14, 2005 7:25 PM , Blogger linnea said...

I loved it.
music and all :)

The last scene was adorable, and I greatly appreciated it. I think Mr. Darcy can keep his stockings on!!

p.s. I had a feeling you wouldn't like it :)

 
At December 15, 2005 7:16 AM , Blogger faith said...

When are we going to have this marathon? I can't wait. I can't see that wonderful movie in quite a while.
Sarah you make me laugh. :) I wish I had been there.

 
At December 15, 2005 6:05 PM , Blogger anna grace said...

The other marathon was quite fun.
We should indeed do it again. (o:

 
At December 17, 2005 9:41 AM , Blogger linnea said...

Here's the deal, everyone comes over to my house and we spend two whole days watching : Pride and Prejudice, Our Mutual Friend, Anne of Green Gables, Wives and Daughters, and the Masterpiece Theater version of Oliver Twist.

sounds fun, eh?

 
At December 17, 2005 3:00 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

yes yes yes

 
At December 21, 2005 10:58 AM , Blogger faith said...

sounds like a blast.

 
At December 22, 2005 10:18 AM , Blogger Sue said...

I agree about the marathon! Please include me! We can have it here if you are comfortable. Just pick a date!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home