Monday, January 30, 2006

Let's play a fun game called, "Guess Sarah's favorite Charles Dicken's book."

It used to be "Nicholas Nickleby," but I've changed again. And I'll probably change again. But at the moment, my favorite Charles Dicken's book is __________.


Here's how the game works. First I'll give you a clue. The first clue will be a quote.


'And a good one, I hope,' said Bella.
'And a good one, I hope,' he answered, looking steadily at her.



I'm going to give you a second quote, in case the first didn't quite do it for you.

'I have borne,' said the Secretary, in a low voice, 'with my false position here, that I might not be separated from Miss Wilfer. To be near her, has been a recompense to me from day to day, even for the undeserved treatment I have had here, and for the degraded aspect in which she has often seen me. Since Miss Wilfer rejected me, I have never again urged my suit, to the best of my belief, with a spoken syllable or a look. But I have never changed in my devotion to her, except--if she will forgive my saying so--that it is deeper than it was, and better founded.'

Another quote:

'You slander the young lady.'
'YOU slander the young lady; you with your affections and hearts and trumpery,' returned Mr Boffin. 'It's of a piece with the rest of your behaviour. I heard of these doings of yours only last night, or you should have heard of 'em from me, sooner, take your oath of it. I heard of 'em from a lady with as good a headpiece as the best, and she knows this young lady, and I know this young lady, and we all three know that it's Money she makes a stand for--money, money, money--and that you and your affections and hearts are a Lie, sir!'


And one last quote:

'Thank you. O thank you! Don't part from me till I have said one other word, to do you justice. The only fault you can be truly charged with, in having spoken to me as you did that night--with how much delicacy and how much forbearance no one but I can know or be grateful to you for--is, that you laid yourself open to be slighted by a worldly shallow girl whose head was turned, and who was quite unable to rise to the worth of what you offered her. Mr Rokesmith, that girl has often seen herself in a pitiful and poor light since, but never in so pitiful and poor a light as now, when the mean tone in which she answered you--sordid and vain girl that she was--has been echoed in her ears by Mr Boffin.'
He kissed her hand again.




The next clue will be a very small picture. And if you don't know what the book is by now, I am terribly sorry for you.










Then a last picture, from the book.
Entitled, "Bella is righted."


read it yourself:

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/charlesdickens/OurMutualFriend/chap1.html

7 Comments:

At February 02, 2006 7:48 AM , Blogger faith said...

wonderous.

 
At February 02, 2006 8:48 AM , Blogger linnea said...

:::sighh::::

I adore this story

 
At February 02, 2006 8:56 PM , Blogger grey rose (they/them) said...

fave


ps...knock it off with so many clues! good grief!

 
At February 04, 2006 1:48 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'll try to think of something harder with fewer clues next time.

 
At February 04, 2006 1:50 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Even with all those clues, some people still couldn't get it...

 
At February 06, 2006 6:09 AM , Blogger faith said...

riverrat makes me smile.

 
At February 06, 2006 6:42 AM , Blogger Sue said...

You have the MOST incredibe blog site ! You are so creative! To think you were going to keep all this to yourself! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us! LOVE you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home