Monday, August 18, 2008


Waiting.

Yesterday evening I had the privilege of hearing Pastor Shelton preach a sermon from Luke 18:1-8 (the parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge) and 1 John 5:13-15.

A few points:

God often makes us wait. As we wait for the Lord, we're re-knit into the fellowship of the Saints. Noah. David. Joseph. Paul. Abraham. William Wilberforce. Charles Simeon.

I found this an encouraging point because one trouble I have with waiting is that I often feel very alone when waiting. As if no one else has ever had to wait for anything. As if no one else could possibly understand. And yet we all have to wait. God often makes us wait.

God knows better than to give you and I everything we want when we want it.

Our Father knows best; His timing is perfect. I need to be reminded of this over and over again.

We are inclined to think that when we are waiting, God is not active. Yet, God knows what he is doing and He asks us to wait upon Him. He is working all things after the counsel of His own will for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. He is not dead; He is not asleep. He is well aware of what you are enduring now. You will not allow you to suffer one moment longer than He wills. And all of His delays are wrapped in His love.

How infinitely encouraging to know that my loving Heavenly Father is in control of my life! Praise Jesus for this rich blessing! And yet how often I despair because I can't see a reason for trouble or delay. God is working all things after the counsel of His own will. And, honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

By making us wait, God wants us to increase our patience, thankfulness, and trust.

Wait and do not lose heart. When you pray according to the will of God, God gives you what is best. He does not always give you what you want. He gives you better than what you ask for.

What God is asking you to wait for is for your good and is wrapped in His love. Often the greater the blessing, the longer we have to wait.

It's a perplexing mystery. But how good it is to know that God is working it all out for His glory and our salvation.

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2008 9:17 AM , Blogger faith said...

Nice summary. I can't think of anything to blog about. Maybe I will post pictures of my dress when/if I finish it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home