Sunday, May 17, 2009

I like having a dog to borrow every now and again. :)

Sometimes when no one else is around, I get to make-believe that I live alone in a gorgeous house out on a river with my four pets: one dog, one cat, and two birds.

My borrowed house is the perfect mix of being on vacation and staying at home. It contains all the delights of being away and yet it's a place where I can feel completely comfortable.

Yesterday afternoon I took my pseudo-dog for a walk. Her name is Flossie and she and I enjoy walking very much, and we were happy as could be to be outside enjoying a fine day. Since neither of us had any pressing responsibilities, we took time to stroll leisurely through a wooded lane, wander around a graveyard, and explore some beaches at the Marina.

After I took a shower, Flossie and I relaxed outside on the porch. I was reading a book about The Inklings and Flossie was resting. She likes to follow me wherever I go and I think it's awfully funny.

In the evening I made myself dinner and ate it in the Blue Room while listening to Norah Jones. ("Boring music," as my little sister calls it. But I think it is delightful.) Flossie looked mournfully at me the whole time I ate, but I refused to pay any attention to her sad eyes.

The clouds hid the sunset, but I knew there would be many more sunsets to see, and if a person saw a sunset every night, it might lose its magic.

I retired to bed rather early, because I wanted to take Flossie for a walk the next morning before I went to church.

Last summer I discovered that I love walking dogs after I spent some time with my other dog-friend, Janie. Janie was always so excited to see me take out the leash and it made me feel happy and excited, too. Who else can you make so happy with such little effort? I can see why people grow so attached to dogs; they are very loving.

Anyway.... yesterday was an enjoyable day, and I do enjoy escaping for a little while to my make-believe house on the river. Though I don't think I'm at a point where I would want to own a dog, it is great fun to borrow one.

7 Comments:

At May 18, 2009 10:31 AM , Blogger faith said...

This is amusing. I am glad you like Norah Jones. She isn't boring at all.

 
At May 18, 2009 11:09 AM , Blogger anna grace said...

I'd like to clarify that I'm not the younger sister who thinks Norah Jones is boring.

 
At May 18, 2009 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny-I have a dog who likes to make-believe she has a special friend who likes to take her on walks:-)

Norah would be the best if she came out with another album!

 
At May 18, 2009 2:40 PM , Blogger little brain said...

Arhh flossy...the only dog i have ever liked!!! and Norah Jones is fabulous! hope you are well...are you all done?!

 
At May 18, 2009 4:56 PM , Blogger linnea said...

Oh! I am sure Janie just loved you to death! I am so pleased to know she had such loving care-givers while my parents were gone. Bless her soul, that little dog gets a bad rap. But she's actually so dear!

Yea and Flossie has grown on me! I think we had a rough start because in the first few months of our acquaintance she peed on me a few times and ripped my nylons (more then once!). She also jumped up onto my wedding dress while I was getting ready and I was afraid she might mess it up. But these days we have become friends. I think we BOTH have calmed down in general.

 
At May 18, 2009 7:28 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Rowena, I'm very well and I'm almost finished. I have one last exam on Wednesday.

Linnea, both Janie and Flossie had to grow on me. The first thing I remember about Flossie is how she tore my stockings right before I went to church. I thought she was a horrible, stupid little dog. (But now we are great friends and that is all forgotten.)

I also remember my first impression of Janie when I arrived at your parent's house last summer. She stood at the very top of the stairs, glaring at me and growling like an angry bear. I was quite terrified of her, at first.

But soon she discovered that I wasn't so bad and I discovered that she wasn't so bad, and in the end when I went back home, I found that I rather missed having her around. I still have a picture of her on my phone from one of our walks and every now and then I see it and I think, "Aw... Janie." :)

 
At May 19, 2009 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-I find it interesting that the night we got Flossie we were stopping for a pair of panty hose(nylons to the younger generation). She seems to have a thing with tearing everyone's up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home