Regarding Multiple Personalities
I was a little worried about the fact that sometimes I feel like there are twenty of me.
For instance, you might think you know me. But my family knows someone different, and my friends know someone different, and my teachers know someone different. Yet they know me. Who can say who I am?
"This little Sarah goes to classes at SU.
This little Sarah stays home.
This little Sarah eats roast beef.
This little Sarah has none."
There is a Sarah who you can only talk to on the phone.
There is a Sarah who will reply to your texts.
One Sarah writes all the blogs.
One Sarah writes all the letters.
One Sarah is practical, one is a dreamer, one is a perfectionist, one is cynical, one is serious, one is a hopeless romantic, one is brilliant, one is blond, one is cruel, one is kind, one is the artist, one is the accountant, yet they are all ... me.
In CMAT last year we talked about how each of us has different personalities and different roles to play. We behave differently is different situations and around different people. My teacher said that when he first read it he thought the book made it sound like everyone was skitzophrenic, but on closer inspection it actually made sense.
We all have multiple roles.
Daughter. Friend. Sister. Student. Leader. Et cetera.
And it's perfectly normal to act differently in different situations. I treat my siblings differently then I treat my teachers. I act differently in Church then I do at a party.
However, (and this is something we didn't discuss in class) there are grounding principles that do not change and should not change (e.g. "set an example for the believers in truth, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.") If something is against God's law then it is wrong in every situation. But things can be wrong in one situation and right in another (e.g. fires are good in the fireplace, not on the carpet and the drapes. It's good to drive on a one-way street, unless you are going the wrong way.)
So there are things that shouldn't change about me. Principles that should stay constant. But I shoudn't feel hypocritical if I talk for three hours with my sister but I don't say a thing for 16 weeks of class.
I am quiet (I have the writing club awards to prove it.) I am loud (I have friends and family who will attest.) I am lots of things to lots of people.
And I don't let it bother me.




6 Comments:
I'm glad you are my sister.
Thanks! I'm glad you're my sister.
I am glad that both of you are my sisters!!
She's not my sister-except in Christ(which is very important). But I guess it means she won't be talking to me for THREE hours.
Hmm. I guess I know Sarah as the quiet little thing that wouldn't say "boo, hiss" at my house.But she would be a willing participant in whatever Faith and Hayley were scheming in their make-believe world.
I know Sarah as the good Traveling Companion; willing to get the next bag of Jordan almonds, or to go into a Colonial pub to play some new/old pub games,or to have a picture of herself taken in the hole of a tree, kicking a trash can, or her hand in front an "Orlando" house sign-maybe this is the "artistic" Sarah.
I know Sarah, the willing taxi-cab driver:-)
I like all the different Sarah's including the introspective one.
I reflect on this phenomenon quite often, although I refer to it as all the different "levels" we exist on; however, that term might intimate that I mean one personality is more important than another...so I guess multiple personalities fits better...
And I'm glad Faith is my sister, too. And I'm glad for my mom and for my "second mom." And I love all you guys so I thought I'd just say that right now.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home