
"...I do not say, Don't play games or cricket and so forth. By all means play and enjoy them, giving thanks to Jesus for them. Only take care that games do not become an idol to you as they did to me. What good will it do to anybody in the next world to have been the best player that ever has been? And then think of the difference between that and winning souls for Jesus."
"Some wish to live within the sound
of Church or Chapel bell;
I want to run a Rescue Shop
within a yard of hell."
-C.T. Studd




3 Comments:
I'm not crazy about this quote. I have been reading a lot recently about the 'cultural mandate' that we have (originating in Genesis 1 and 2). This means that we were created to live here, on earth, and to cultivate creation. Politics, economics, art, athletics, everything is a great discovery of our purpose and the goodness of God. If we do these things, we will have opportunities to "win souls for Jesus" but not if we go around being cynical about pursuing "pointless" activities like sports. Abundant life!
It seems to me that you are both saying the same thing. Sarah's quote says play sports, just don't let them be an idol. Hayley says we are created to enjoy the things of this world (like art and sports).
And Sarah, I like the quote. I think it is very important that we don't make things idols in our lives. It is so easy to do with school, sports, friends, or other fun things. We end up putting more time into them then saving souls.
Mmmmm, true, it is important what he says about not making sports an idol but playing sports can be a means for winning souls for Jesus but more importantly it can be a means to itself -- a creative purpose when you are a Christian. Perhaps I just don't like his wording.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home