Thursday, April 09, 2009

Lunch Story

Let me tell you about my two friends from Lebanon and how it happened that I ate lunch with them. It was one of those cool, unexpected, spur-of-the-moment kind of meetings.

The stage had been set a week before. While I was walking along campus, I ran into my friend Yana, who I've mentioned several times. (See here for a [rather bad] picture of us at Del Tech graduation two years ago. We were both accounting majors and had quite a few classes together.)

Anyway, back to the story... Yana had been walking with a guy friend. She stopped to introduce us because he also used to go to Del Tech and she didn't know if we had known each other. His name is Liwaa, he had been student body president. I had never met him before, but he seemed very nice and after the three of us chatted for a while we went our separate ways.

Later that day when I went home I asked Dad if he knew Liwaa. He said yes, he'd taught him in a math class. Anna chimed in to say that she had also been in a class with him.

So... last week I went to this place on campus for lunch (The Gulls Nest) and I ordered a sandwich, and while I was waiting for them to make my food, I saw Liwaa also waiting for his order. He recognized me and said hi, and I said hi back and told him my name again. Then I mentioned that he knew my Dad and my sister (I'd never told him my last name) and as we were talking his food came and I was still waiting and he said, "Hey do you want to eat with us?"

I didn't know who "us" was but of course I said yes.

So he waited for me to get my sandwich and then we went back to a booth where his cousin was sitting, and he introduced us. His cousin told me that he'd had like three classes with Dad, and that Dad was a great professor and all this jazz.

Since we'd all transferred from Del Tech, we had lots to talk about through lunch. And it was cool and fun and happy. Eventually they had to go to class and so we all said goodbye and that is the end of the story.

For now.

3 Comments:

At April 10, 2009 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Power Lunch; Networking:-) Who ever knows how a brief encounter might come back as a benefit later on(or even the impact we have on others)

 
At April 11, 2009 8:03 AM , Blogger faith said...

That sounds cool. It is always more fun to eat with someone than to eat alone. Eating alone is just kind of depressing... strike that, it IS depressing.

 
At April 11, 2009 8:23 AM , Blogger Sue said...

I really like this story.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home