Wednesday, September 09, 2009

So far:

I'm hating my art class.

but I love my two business classes so much!!!

6 Comments:

At September 10, 2009 12:30 PM , Blogger linnea said...

yea, I was a little disappointed with my art class! It's not as much fun doing projects that are OTHER people's ideas, and to fit someone ELSES standards.

 
At September 10, 2009 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical temperamental artists:-) This is why most artists became famous after they were dead.

 
At September 12, 2009 6:38 PM , Blogger Sarah B said...

I guess I'm disappointed because I really thought that it was going to be great. Art.... that should be fun, right?

One problem with my art class is that it is too long. Way too long. Three hours, twice a week... cooped up in a messy little room with fake lighting and all of the windows closed up like we are afraid to let in the sun.

So far, of the eight class hours, the teacher has TALKED for 6 and a half hours, and we've only been drawing for an hour and a half.

The teacher drones on and on like he doesn't have a plan and is constantly losing his way. Last class he informed us that "He never uses lesson plans."

Oh. That explains a lot.

Overall feeling: frustration. I seriously just want to scream "GET ON WITH IT!" during the class. Sometimes it's like being in a bad dream.

 
At September 12, 2009 6:43 PM , Blogger anna grace said...

I've never taken an art class but your experiences with them make me desire never to do so.

You're too advanced for the classes. Remember to hold your paintbrush at the very tip so that you have more control over it (!?)

 
At September 12, 2009 6:43 PM , Blogger Sarah B said...

I had the same experience with my other art class at Salisbury.

Seriously, how hard could it be to teach art well? Is it too much to ask for an art teacher that acts like they actually enjoy art? Just a little enthusiasm, please? Maybe it's too much to expect someone with passion...

But they are KILLING ME over there!

 
At September 17, 2009 11:34 AM , Blogger linnea said...

Yea, as an arts major I will be taking a LOT of art classes and it is so incredibly different then you might think.

Some of the first things I've noticed is how DIVERSE the artistic community is. I mean you have me who thinks pretty, colorful, whimsical things are beautiful...but then you have Johnny who might love dark geometric things instead...Then you have the teachers who demand perfection. Like it's a math problem. It begs the question...can Art have a RIGHT way..or a RIGHT answer?? Well they say it does...crazy face!

Another really surprising aspect is the critiquing. I'm not sure if you're doing any of that yet..but we have to stand in front of our class and explain our work and then everyone in the class gives their opinion like:

"That's pretty cool, but the craftsmanship really could improve."

"I don't get it. Why did you use yellow? And that part is uneven."

"I am really distracted by the dark outlines."

"I don't like your idea."


It's just a really weird thing. All I know is this: art people are weeeiirrrdddd! Maybe I am weird too??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home