Thursday, June 04, 2009

Friends For Now

A couple weeks ago I was walking across campus on the way to one of my last finals. SU isn't a very big campus, and over the past two years I've collected a hundred memories for each building and hallway and path and classroom and table.

Here's where she and I ate lunch. This is the room where the four of us met to practice our presentation together. We sat here when I introduced her to my friend for the first time. Here's where we stood and waited for the rain to stop. Here's the table where we sat in the library and he made me laugh so hard I had to leave the room. When I was passing by your dorm once, I waved and you came over and gave me a hug. Here's the path where she and I walked, talking together before we took that big test.

As I walked past the library, I suddenly felt tears welling up in my eyes. You see, two of my closest friends on campus were graduating that week. I grew close to them over the past year, after we spent countless hours together in the library working on a semester-long group project. For the fall semester, we met almost every day.

In the past year, I'd had three and four classes with my friends. The three of us sat together in one class this semester, and we'd usually talk before class and sometimes my guy-friend would make me laugh during class.

I was not ready to see them leave and I didn't like thinking about the fact that they aren't going to be here when I return in the fall.

It's odd making friends with people when you know that you're only going to be friends for a definite period of time. I knew that she and he and I were going to be friends for a year. Sure, we might keep in touch on Facebook; I have their phone numbers; maybe I'll run into them in a few years... but basically, those friendships have ended now.

So what's the point of this depressing post? I don't really know. I'm just musing.

1 Comments:

At June 04, 2009 10:40 AM , Blogger faith said...

I don't like when that happens. Everyone I knew during college hasn't stayed in touch (other than Michelle). Yay, for Michelle!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home