Friday, November 07, 2008

Internet in my room: Is it a good thing?

We just got wireless internet at my house. And I don't know quite how I feel about it.

It's convenient when I'm doing schoolwork and I need to do research or find out about assignments and homework, or when my group-friends are emailing me group-questions about projects due in the morning. It's nice not to have to drag all my books to a different room and wait for someone else to finish online.

On the other hand, last night I spent about an hour on Facebook instead of studying for my test (which was this morning.) I was talking with a friend, so it actually wasn't a waste of time. It was good to have a conversation with her and I wouldn't have spoken to her otherwise. But usually I'm not quite so productive on Facebook.

I have this bad habit of procrastinating and wasting time, and I'm just not sure I need one more thing to distract me. I kind of liked not being able to access the internet on my computer, because when I was on my computer writing a paper or making a spreadsheet, I didn't have the option to go "see what's happening on the Drudgereport" or "check my Facebook."

I find the internet pretty boring. There are two things I typically do online.
1. Facebook
2. read Drudge Report
and after I'm done that I'm like "what now?" and I go away

I rarely read blogs. Blogging bores me. If I want to share something important, I'm not going to post it on the internet for the world to see. Please. The only reason I'm writing this is because I have a break between classes and I don't feel like reading the chapter for class.

Here's something good about wireless internet: I will now be able to access John Piper sermons in my room. Wouldn't that be good to listen to in the mornings or evenings or in-between time?
Whether I will capitalize on that or not is yet to be seen.

Have you noticed how often we see a good, clear, beneficial thing, and we choose not to do it? For instance, I know that memorizing Scripture would be a good thing. Usually things in this world have a good side/bad side. Cost/benefit analysis. But there is nothing bad about memorizing Scripture. It could only be beneficial. Is there really a better way to spend your time? It could only build me up, make me more like Jesus, give me joy. Yet... why don't I do it?

-Lazy.

-A failure to focus on the long run.

But it's like compounding interest. A little effort now will keep compounding and growing and you'll reap a lifetime of rewards. But there's still a cost.

Same with doing homework. Same with studying. Same with choosing to read an improving book over watching tv. Same with eating healthy or exercising.

I think we spend a lot of time complaining about things not being clear in Scripture. Like, "If I only knew what the Lord wanted me to do with my life, I would do it! If he'd only speak to me or send me or give me a clear direction..."

Yet, I'm not even living up to the small things. I'm not living up to the clear directions He has given.

Be sober-minded.
Prepare your minds for action.
Love your enemies.
Pray continually.
Be self-controlled; be alert.
Flee temptation.
Do not covet.
Do not lie; do not cheat; do not steal.
And a thousand more.

I don't know what it all means. I should get to class. I'd apologize for the randomness of this post, but I don't really expect anyone to be reading all this (with the exception of my Mom and my Aunt Suzanne --- hi, mom and aunt! love you.) I don't blame the rest of you, though. I probably wouldn't read this if I saw it on your blog. Too many words. Not enough pictures.

I'm just thinking aloud. Writing is a good way to think. Don't mind me.

3 Comments:

At November 07, 2008 9:09 AM , Blogger Sue said...

Aunt Suzanne and I were just praying for you. And I must say that your thoughts are very similar to mine--and quite a few other believers I've shared with lately. God is teaching me right now--and will again and again, I'm sure--but He keeps showing me how He is on the throne and His will will be done and we're all a part of the plan and just need to keep doing the next thing, as Elizabeth Elliott advises; the real ironic thing is the things you list and how we should spend time in His Word and all, they're all for US! Maybe not in some tangible, miraculous, wow way that we see right away or at all, but God is in the moment, not the faraway future. May He really work that in all of us. My word verification is "trimins;" I think that is cute for this time of year. Love you!

 
At November 07, 2008 12:34 PM , Blogger faith said...

I read it. I read all your posts. :)

 
At November 07, 2008 12:35 PM , Blogger faith said...

And yeah, I don't know about being completely wireless either.

My word is trise. Weird.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home